Learning a foreign language is an interesting and exciting process. But at the same time, it requires huge costs: effort, time and energy. Is it possible to learn the language on your own, or do you need some help?
Many people start learning foreign languages on their own, but not all are successful in it.
First you need to find out whether it is possible to learn English on your own or it is not worth spending time and energy.
Taking the first steps
Determining whether you can learn a foreign language on your own or not is quite simple. Your desire and ambitions to reach your goals are very important. These are two bases from which the process of learning always begins. It should be noted that to study languages on your own always takes more time than to learn it in courses or with a teacher. But if you have a desire, then you will work and move forward. And your goals will always motivate and stimulate you to learn. If you do not have a specific goal, for what you need a foreign language, then your desire will disappear on the 3rd day after the beginning and the whole process will end. Your goals and desire will help you to learn and to overcome all difficulties.
Then, the only thing you need, is just to find an effective way to learn the language.
Choosing the resources
A huge amount of different resources does not always have a positive effect on learning. You need to have a sense of proportion. A lot of people believe that as more as better. They buy a lot of textbooks, install a bunch of language learning apps on their phones, download dozens of films. On the one hand, it is good. But, when you study from different books, you have a risk to be confused by the material.
- A good textbook. The fact is, that every textbook has its own principle of presentation, and if you take the information from different books, very soon you will have a mess in your head. In a week, the whole learning process will seem terrible, you will get confused and stop understanding anything. A good textbook covers all aspects of the language: grammar, reading, pronunciation, listening and writing. If you study foreign languages on your own, you should make this process interesting and full of positive emotions.
- Dictionary. This is just a very necessary thing. To understand the meaning of a particular word, you will have to look into the dictionary. The best variant is to have a dictionary that explains the meaning of new words in a simple and more understandable way for you.
- A grammar textbook. This is another kind of a text. Your studying will not be completed without it. Students often complain that they cannot understand and learn grammar. In this case, it is better to take a grammar book with exercises. What is more useful, you don't need to work with it in a certain sequence. You can end up in one place and start somewhere else.
- Additional materials. Of course, if you want to master a foreign language, you can not do it without some additional resources. These can be books for reading, various videos and films, foreign music. In general, everything that will be interesting for you. A great number of such materials can be found on the Internet. The main point is to choose the material according to your level. If you are just a beginner, don't try to understand some news reports or read some pages of a serious book. Start small!
Problems on the way
Learning a language on your own is a very hard work. If you want to get results and learn to speak, you cannot treat learning as a hobby. This work requires self-discipline and an investment of effort and time.
We should admit that at the beginning it would be better to take lessons with a professional and experienced teacher. Under his supervision and expert guidance, you will succeed faster than learning a foreign language on your own.
- Grammar. For many people, this aspect of learning a foreign language is very difficult and it's quite hard to figure it out by studying on your own. You will have to deal with the material yourself and spend a lot of time learning all the rules. If there is an experienced teacher nearby, he will be able to explain all the rules in an accessible way and answer all your questions. This can save you a lot of time and effort.
- Mistakes. Of course, while learning a foreign language, everyone makes mistakes: someone does not pronounce the sound correctly, someone forgets the ending. Mistakes are not a problem. However, it is very important to correct them in time, otherwise, they will turn into a habit. When you study on your own, it is not easy to correct the mistakes since there is no one nearby who will point to them and tell you how to do it right. Lessons with a teacher will help you avoid many mistakes.
- Speaking practice. The most common problem with self-study is the lack of speaking practice. In most cases, people just have no one to train their speaking skills with. They usually read, watch movies, listen to audio but don't speak. And without speaking practice, you will not be able to speak the language at all. This problem can be solved by studying with a teacher. You will always have a companion with whom you can practice your spoken language without any problems.
As you can see, learning a language on your own is not easy. That is why so many people just give up at the very beginning. Start your studying with professional teachers on the Lingava platform, and they will certainly give you some advices how to continue learning a foreign language on your own!